The Church of St James, Jacobstowe, is a Grade 2* listed building which has recently been re-ordered to allow its use by the community for non-secular purposes as well as the liturgical needs of the parish.
The church sits in a prominent position with lovely views over the River Okement valley which you can enjoy from the bench in the churchyard.
The church has visible evidence of its early 12th century origin in the Norman porch doorways, the font and possibly the stone altar to the right of the porch. Excavations of the nave during the reordering scheme in 2015 revealed late Saxon eastern and western wall footings. The latter, being apsidal in shape, caused much excitement within the archaeological community due to its rarity, and is considered to be pre-Conquest possibly even 8th century in origin.
The 17th and 18th century lead glazed and relief decorated north Devon tiles were moved from the aisle to the area around the font to protect them from further wear and were replaced by early 20th century reproductions. The attractive tiled floor of the chancel was laid when it was extended in 1903.
There are six early to late 19th century monuments, among which is one to Lady Ellen Astley1845 by John Ternouth, who was responsible for the Bronze relief panel at the base of Nelson's column. Another interesting memorial is to Colonel Sir Robert White-Thompson 1926, Lord of the Manor of Broomford, who built the new manor house in1878.
The beautiful ancient door in the arched Norman doorway is considered to be original and therefore also Norman. The other door of interest is the tower door, formerly the Western entrance to the church, which was adapted to fit when the tower was built in 15th century. Above the door are the armorial shields of the Strechleigh and Carey families which held the Manor of Broomford in 14th century and which were also originally above the west door of the church.
There is more from Devon ChurchLand here
There are also 2 pdf files in the file section that can be downloaded:A History & Guide to this Ancient Church (10 page)Late Saxon and Medieval Discoveries at the Church of St James, Jacobstowe, Devon, in 2015 (50 page)